The human body includes a number of glands, which interact with the nervous system, produce hormones and exercise influence upon the whole organism. Gland disorders can lead to serious consequences – development of malignancy, diabetes, obesity, sudden body weight loss or loss of hair, and so on. Endocrinology is the subdivision of medicine, which deals with the constitution and functioning of the glands producing vital hormones. Various stresses, environmental deterioration, as well as heredity factors can destroy the healthy operation of the endocrine glands, which leads to numerous endocrine pathologies.
In our Endocrinology department, we treat Thyroid diseases, Diabetes, Neuroendocrine diseases and other diseases of endocrine system. The combination of scientifically approved methods of Traditional Chinese medicine and the newest equipment used in standard western medicine allows us to diagnose most of the endocrine diseases at early stage and treat even severe complications.
Endocrinology Department in the First Teaching Hospital of Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine includes 24 PhDs in Medicine and an Academician of Medical Science. We specialize in traditional Chinese and integrative medicine. The Department has 72 in-patient beds, and serves over 10 types of proprietary preparations. We always adhere to our motto: “Study and use medicine with integrity and professionalism, and treat and care patients with compassion and respect”.
Professor Wu Shentao, MD, Chief Physician, M.D. Supervisor, is the head of this Department. Having over 30 years of clinical practice, Dr. Wu Shentao is experienced in combining Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) with western methods in order to treat endocrine and metabolic diseases. He discovered the “turbidity-to-toxin” mechanism for diabetes pathogenesis and invented the "turbidity-eliminating and toxin-removing" therapy for diabetes treatment. Dr. Wu has developed two proprietary TCM preparations (“Tangduqing granule” and “Shenxiao granule”), which were found very effective in treatment of diabetes and proteinuria in clinical applications.
Conditions we treat
The specialists of our Endocrinology Department will help you heal the following disorders:
- Thyroid diseases: Hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroiditis, autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's thyroiditis), goiter, thyroid nodules, thyrotoxicosis.
- Diabetes: Diabetes mellitus type 1 and 2, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, diabetic nephropathy, diabetic dyslipidemia, diabetic angiopathy, diabetic retinopathy.
- Neuroendocrine diseases, including tumors: pituitary adenoma, pituitary microadenoma, adenocarcinoma, Cushing's disease.
- Parathyroid diseases: parathyroid adenoma, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism.
- Metabolic disorders: gout, hyperuricemia, weight loss, obesity.
- Chronic pancreatitis.
- Growth hormone disorders: growth hormone dysfunction, Turner syndrome.
- Diseases of the adrenal gland including Addison's disease.
Diagnostics of Endocrine Diseases
Endocrine disorders are hard to diagnose. Oftentimes, their symptoms are indistinctive: they include asthenia, fatigue, low spirits, and weight loss. This is precisely why in Europe most endocrine disorders are disclosed in their advanced stages, when the patients have to be checked into a hospital. In our Endocrinology Department, all the diseases are diagnosed in their early stages by virtue of the combination of the TCM methods and the newest laboratory tests and instrumental examinations.
The latter include the following procedures:
- All types of blood tests (C.B.C., Full Chemistry Panel, HbA1c level detection, blood hormones tests, etc.).
- Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy, Color Doppler sonography of the heart, the abdominal cavity, lower limb vessels, the uracyst, internals, and the thyroid body.
- Ultrasound investigation of mammary glands, pelvic organs, carotid transcranial ultrasound investigations, bone density analysis.
- Actinography, MRT, CT, angiography, and so on.
Treatment of Endocrine Diseases
The specialists of the First Teaching Hospital of Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine work out an individual therapeutic regimen for each patient. We use the unique remedies, which recover the hormonal balance and strengthen the immune function. The personal therapeutic regimen is prepared on the basis of acupuncture, physiotherapy, massotherapy, vacuum therapy and so on.
We have developed the distinctive therapies for endocrine diseases:
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy. DPN is the most common form of diabetic neuropathy and it corresponds to Bi-syndrome of Xiao Ke in TCM. In order to treat this disorder, we use oral herbal decoctions, acupoint applications, acupuncture, local microwave treatment, light wave therapy, herbal fumigation, moxibustion and cupping therapy.
- Diabetic nephropathy. DN or diabetic glomerulosclerosis is a microvascular complication of diabetes. In TCM, it corresponds to Shenxiao or kidney disease. The specialists of our hospital have developed Granule for Shenxiao – the unique preparation, which reduces albuminuria and significantly delays DN progression. To cure chronic renal failure in diabetic nephropathy, we use herbal enema therapy and oral herbal decoctions.
- Diabetic dyslipidemia. It is a common complication of diabetes, the pathogenesis of which is related to dampness obstruction, phlegm turbidity and blood stasis at syndrome Xiao Ke. We treat the patients with diabetic dyslipidemia by applying the Tangduqing granule. Developed in the basis of the turbidity-eliminating and toxin-removing therapy in TCM, this granule protects the important tissues and organs of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems.
- Thyroid diseases. In response to their increased incidence, our department established special branch for thyroid diseases. We use the integrative medicine therapies for all types of these illnesses to minimize collateral damage and enhance curative effects. Our methodic adjusts the balance between organs and both supports healthy Qi.
To receive more detailed information about treatment of endocrine diseases in our hospital, fill out the therapy request form. We will study your personal medical data and work out the therapeutic regimen on the basis of the TCM and modern European methods.
+86 138 1102 3493
88 Zihuan Road, Xiqing, Tianjin, China